Thursday 14 April 2011

Axis robots winter camo: Painting like a mofo

I finally plucked up the courage to start painting my Dust Tactics robots this week. I don't know why I was so reluctant. I mean they're cheaper than the Deff Dreads, killa kanz and other Orky vehicles I've painted over the years; likewise my warmaching jacks. Perhaps its because I can't just walk into a shop and buy them here with quite so much impunity as I can the other models mentioned.

Regardless, after a quick trip to http://blog.brushthralls.com/?page_id=3719 to see how an expert does it, I got started with my prep.

I wanted Luther to look beaten up, with the kind of slapdash whitewash that you see in old pictures of Axis tanks during the Stalingrad campaign. To that end, I did exactly what the German tank crews did, (except for the part about contributing to the murder of millions of innocent people and perpetuating a dogmatic intolerance for all those deemed racially inferior) and slapped very white, wet paint all over the flat surfaces of the model:


















I wanted the Ludwig from my core set to look slightly different, so decided that it would be fresh from the factory with a custom 'Tigerstrip' winter camo paint job. The FFG tutorials were a useful inspiration for this and I subsequently plastered the fucker with carefully cut masking tape:






















My next step is to airbrush him vallejo white and allow it to dry fully.

















Once the initial white stages are complete, it's a thin airbrushed wash of vallejo smoke, (mixed with vallejo glaze medium) and allow it to dry completely overnight.

If you want to see how a pro does it, then visit brushthralls. Remember to follow/subscribe them while you're there.

More to follow...

No comments: